The aim of the Volunteer Experience program is three pronged;
1. As a mechanism for raising money to support the activities of Nhaka Foundation in Zimbabwe
2. To give people from around the world the opportunity to work on community initiated projects in Zimbabwe.
3. To offer volunteer opportunities for students, interns and any professional wishing to spend some time working with HIV/AIDS infected or affected children and communities and bring about sustainable development.
The combination of these objectives works well as the money fundraised by volunteers enables much needed work to be accomplished in Zimbabwe and volunteers get to see and work with genuine locally led organizations that are making a real difference to the lives of people. The first few days in Zimbabwe (depending on length of stay) is spent undergoing a training course to prepare you for living and volunteering in the country before leaving for the villages that will host you during your stay. The training will help you get up to speed on some basic Shona (local language), which will help you interact with the locals in your village. You are also to learn about Shona culture, hopefully ensuring you do not unintentionally offend anyone! This time is also a fantastic way to begin bonding with your fellow volunteers and make some life-long friends. The accommodation at the Pamusha (rural home) compound is basic but is clean and secure. Visitor’s stay in chalets, which all have en-suite toilets and showers (though the water pressure might not be good enough to reach the shower head). Each chalet accommodates up to 6 people.
The Nhaka Foundation has a proud partnership with over 50 schools and 15 orphanages in Zimbabwe. It is at these schools, orphanages and surrounding communities that your work will be based. The volunteers have a choice of being involved in the following:
- Volunteer at an Orphanage - This project creates inspiring educational opportunities for orphaned, rescued and abandoned children. The children need someone to play with, help them with their homework and have that brother and sister they can talk to. Food is provided during working hours.
- Community Support - This project strives to improve the lives of local people, focusing on education, and access to clean water, health and sanitation. There are many volunteer opportunities, from teaching to gardening, preschool renovations to health care. Volunteers package includes accommodation plus a kitchen to prepare food.
- Advance Education in Rural Communities - This project is looking for volunteers to run drama/dance workshops, and raise awareness of HIV/AIDS, conservation issues and techniques for children. This project also involves holding parenting meetings with grandmothers, grandfathers and guardians of orphans and vulnerable children to improve their knowledge on ways to care for the children
- Reach out to Children - This project reaches out to over 600 children in the rural areas through after school programmes. Volunteers can help out with HIV/AIDS prevention, reading skills, computer literacy, filming, music, arts, sports and much more. Your energy and enthusiasm is key!
What is included in the program fee I pay?
- A substantial donation to the Nhaka Foundation (around half of your total programme fee) to support the work you will be involved in during your visit to Zimbabwe. This donation is administered by the Nhaka Foundation Board
- Support from pre-departure, throughout your volunteering time and on return
- Airport pickup and transfers to residential centre, field activities and meetings
- Accommodation from the night of your arrival till the end of your volunteering time
- All meals eaten at the residential centre and throughout your time as a volunteer attached to Nhaka Foundation
- Language and cultural training
- Travel from Harare (capital city) to your host project
What's not included?
- Cost of getting to and from Zimbabwe from your home country
- Your personal equipment (i.e. sleeping bag, boots, backpack)
- Medical insurance or any medical treatment you may require whilst in Zimbabwe
- Trips outside the residential training centre and related costs such as taxi fares extra to the Volunteer Experience program
To be part of this exciting program click on Get Involved.
Please email or call us to find out how you can get your generous gift or donations to us.
Learning is the best of all wealth; it is easy to carry, thieves cannot steal it, and tyrants cannot seize it; neither fire nor water can destroy it; and far from decreasing, it increases by giving.